Friday, October 21, 2011

Artisan Spotlight -- N. Fallon Design Studio

7 Questions is our spotlight on our favorite artisans. Please welcome...


Nancy, creator of N. Fallon Design Studio!

1. What do you sell in your shop?

My shop, N. Fallon Design Studio, houses mainly my knit goods including a line of bags and purses and scarves.  I also sell original art; cute, tiny gift tag cards; and my singular jewelry design.  

2. What is your favorite thing about etsy?

I enjoy the majesty of it all.  When I log in, I become transfixed; there are so many talented artists with wares that blow you away.  I think it's also quite fantasy fulfilling for me- the idea of a site dedicated to creating a community for handmade artisans to connect and sell their art is amazing.

3. What is your least favorite thing about etsy?

In general, I'm perturbed by how crowded etsy is vs. how few artisans actually get exposure
through the site.  We all know that the same artists are featured on the front page time and time again.  I truly believe that etsy is missing out on finding gorgeous new shops, and that if they were truly dedicated to the cause this would not even be an issue.


4. What does your studio/workspace look like?

My studio space is sandwiched in a nook of our front room.  It's more functional than beautiful- I spend more time working in it than decorating it I guess!  I've got my drafting table for painting and paper projects, a nice 6' table to spread out on and use as my computer desk, and large storage units about the room for supplies and goods.  And...usually a cat in my lap too.

5. What do you do to relax?

Work tends to be solitary, so I love to get away from the computer and out of the house when I need some down time.  I love to hike and camp, go for walks around town, exercise, really any reason to get outside is all I need to have a good time.

6. What accomplishments are you the most proud of?

Unrelated to etsy, but still a creative medium, I'm proud of my improved cooking skills.  My fiance and I love watching Food Network, and have become quite ambitious in the kitchen over the last few years.  My goal was to be able to establish enough food knowledge to just whip up something great out of whatever we happen to have in the kitchen sans recipe and I'm pretty much there.  We plan to take a cooking class together in the near future too.
7. What are some of your goals for the next year?

I'd love to see the shop grow in sales and listings.  I still have yet to get into a 'real' craft show, which I'd be thrilled to do.  I want to be more patient with myself and with others, and I'd love to make it a point to see friends every weekend.  I will challenge myself to do something that scares me each month and follow through.  I want to be braver in all aspects of my life.  I hope, in both little ways and big, to achieve progress in these areas.


10 comments:

storybeader said...

great post! I feel I know Nancy better - didn't know she was into cooking! So sweet to hang out with your fiance in the kitchen! {:-D

Splendid Little Stars said...

I loved learning more about you, Nancy! It's fun to see you in your studio with your kitty ensconced on your lap!
I agree with your comments about etsy.
I love the layering of mountains as in your photo. (wonder where you are...)

Blogging Business Artisans said...

Thank you for being part of this great team, Nancy! I look forward to working with you in the future.

Rose Clearfield said...

Nancy is awesome!! I'm sure that she would blog all of us away with her cooking skills. Love the cat picture of course. Looking forward to seeing what she makes over the next year.

Memories for Life said...

What a great interview! I loved learning more about Nancy and seeing her great photos :) She has an awesome shop and blog!

BeadedTail said...

I'm enjoying learning about our talented teammates and how many have kitties helping them out! Nancy, your work is beautiful and I wish you much success towards all your goals!

Honey from the Bee said...

Thank you for this post! Nancy, we have a lot in common. New chefs, finding solace in the outdoors, etc. Glad you're part of my team!

Anonymous said...

Thanks all! I'm thrilled to be here too! It's nice to get to know everyone, and learn a bit more about everyone outside of their crafty interests!

Sheryl Hastings said...

It's so nice to see the person behind the art. Nancy's work is beautiful and and it's nice to see another fan of cooking.

Good luck and I hope your shop grows and grows!

Jenny said...

It was great learning more about you Nancy! You have great work and I liked the insight into your other hobbies like cooking.