Monday, October 31, 2011

Artisan Spotlight -- Miss Millificent's Mesdamoiselles

7 Questions is our spotlight on our favorite artisans. Please welcome...

Athena, creator of Miss Millificent's Mesdamoiselles!
1. What do you sell in your shop? 
At Miss Millificent's Mesdamoiselles, I sell my one-of-a-kind handmade weird, odd and gothic art dolls. They have unusual and sometimes disturbing stories. These dolls are inspired by and a continuation of my artwork.
2. What is your favorite thing about etsy? 
The community, and the chance it gives me, an artist who doesn't make much money, to sell my dolls without breaking my bank.

3. What is your least favorite thing about etsy? 
The obvious favoritism for certain styles and products, and the way suppliers flood the search listings (maybe "relevancy" will change that...?).

4. What does your studio/workspace look like? 
I work in our converted garage, and it's a pretty big space. Although the walls are a greyish-blue color, I've cheered the room up with colorful bookcases, desks, and lights. When I'm not working on my dolls, I sit at my desk next to my big picture window, where I can watch the rain and occasional snow (and the cats can come claw the window to be let in).
5. What do you do to relax? 
Watch t.v. with my husband (although "The Walking Dead" isn't much for relaxing!), and take naps. We've also begun traveling more this year, as well as hiking, and those are both relaxing for me.

6. What accomplishments are you the most proud of? 
Being able to sculpt without any formal training. For years I thought I couldn't and didn't even try because I failed so miserably at it in twelfth grade art class. To discover that I could do something I thought so elusive, and pretty late in my "career" is a huge accomplishment. Personally, that I've raised our two daughters to become healthy, happy, independent adults is great, too.

7. What are some of your goals for the next year? 
For my dolls, just better, and I would like to start adding accessories to them. I am also planning to start my own business, so a lot of my time will be devoted to writing a business plan, developing it, etc.



 Miss Millificent (Athena): OOAK miniatures; handmade odd art dolls
Shop: (dolls): www.etsy.com/shop/MissMillificent
(minis) www.etsy.com/shop/AthenaWorkman
Blog: athenaworkman.blogspot.com
Twitter: www.twitter.com/athenaworkman
Facebook: (business) www.facebook.com/pages/Miss-Millificents-World/209881245725030

10 comments:

Memories for Life said...

Athena's dolls are so fun and I love that each one has a story ;) I can't wait to see what your new business is about!

AWJ said...

Aw, nice! Thanks for the feature. :) Glad to be a part of this new team, too!

Sheryl Hastings said...

I love these dolls! I think they are so fun. Love the whimsy. They are one of a kind cuties! Great feature. I wish you the best of luck with your dolls. Love them!

storybeader said...

your dolls have grown on me. Now I look "below" their skin! My main workspace is in a converted garage too. Not too large, though... {:-D

BeadedTail said...

I love the creativity and stories about your dolls too! I wish you much success with your new business too!

Rose Clearfield said...

Athena's dolls are so unique! So many people can't past the "teach myself" aspect of art. It's awesome that you were able to break through that. Looking forward to seeing what you will do with your shop and business this next year.

Judy Nolan said...

Oooh...I love the idea of accessories for the dolls. I can see toys and musical instruments, books and games and toys, snack food...the list goes on! I'll be interested to see what you develop.

Anonymous said...

Lovely post Athena! It sounds like you've got your work cut out for you with starting your own business.

Karen said...

I LOVE this shop - Athena's work is such a fanciful representation of those emotions and feelings we probably all have at one time or another! Can't wait to see what's on the horizon! Thanks for sharing :)

Karen
MysticWynd on Etsy
Mystic Wynd

Splendid Little Stars said...

I love the idea of adding accessories for your dolls! How fun!
You are so creative and talented!
Can't wait to see what your new business is!